Thursday, March 1, 2012

Queen Elizabeth 1st

                                                                 
     I sat in front of my mother as she brushed my hair and hummed. It was odd for my mother to request my presence so late into the night but when her chamber maid had awaken me and said that I was to go with her to my mothers chamber I asked no questions. My mother then sent the chamber maid for a brush and combs. When she  returned my mother took the brush and combs and dismissed the maid. I found it odd to be with my mother while there were no servants around but I thought nothing of it at the time. We sat for a long time before my mother said anything.
" I shall not be around much longer Elizabeth," she said laying the brush aside and beginning to work the combs into my hair "You must realize that when I leave, you must not ask where I am. I shall be unable to write or visit. You will lose all connections with me. All will be well though. You will grow up to be a wonderful young lady no matter what others say. Do you understand me?" She said standing me up and turning me around to face her.
" Yes Mother. Where are you going though? May I come visit you? May I write?" I questioned taking her hand in mine. She patted my hand gently then pulled me onto her lap.
" I am going some where farther away then you letters could ever go, or you could ever travel. I am going farther away then any coach or boat could carry you. You must not look for me because when you do you will become disappointed and sad. Do not let my leaving cause you grief but remember I am somewhere better." Just then two guards walked into the room.The taller of the two spoke.
"It is time to go Madame." My Mother sighed and kissed my forehead and held me tight for a moment then called for her chamber maid.
" Return Elizabeth to her bed and be sure to stay with her till she is in deep sleep." Then the maid took me away and to my room. There I laid unable to sleep for a long time. I laided there thinking about what my Mother had said for quite some time. Eventually sleep claimed me but it was fit full and full of nightmares.
      That morning at breakfast my Father told me that my Mother had departed in the night. He told me nothing more then she was going somewhere better. I did not question him further remembering my Mothers words to me the previous night. Later that day though I heard some servants speaking about my Father saying he would soon have a new wife they would have to prepare for and that it would be a difficult subject to explain to me. I didn't know at the time my Mother was no longer living.

No comments:

Post a Comment